SEDEX stands for Supplier Ethical Data Exchange. It is one of the world’s leading ethical trade service providers, it is a web-based system created to help organizations or businesses to develop ethical performance of their supply chain. It uses develop working conditions in global supply chains.
It is a broadest collaborative platform for sharing ethical supply chain data, SEDEX is an inventive and impressive supply chain management solution, it helps organizations to reduce risk, protect companies’ reputation and upgrade supply chain processes.
This platform stores data on responsible business practices and allows the sharing of ethical performance information with various Brands & Clients.
SEDEX involves with all categories of the supply chain with the vision of driving improvements and convergence in responsible business practices.
SEDEX allows members to store and report on information in four key areas:
- Labour standards,
- Health and Safety,
- Health and Safety,
- Business Ethics.
SEDEX is a not for profit membership organization committed to driving developments in ethical and responsible business practices in global supply chains. It has more than 30,000+ customers around the globe.
SEDEX was launched in 2004. As earlier SEDEX has been a platform of preference for exchanging ethical supply chain data for more than thousands of organizations around the globe.
SEDEX has two main aims:
- To ease the burden on suppliers facing multiple audits, questionnaires and certifications.
- To drive improvements in the ethical performance of global supply chains.
SEDEX has three different types of membership in SEDEX system.
- One of the significant challenges faced by many organizations is storing and reporting on ethical data.
- Organizations who wish to maintain and report on ethical data are encouraged by SEDEX as it offers a refined IT solution.
- SEDEX help to reduces the duplication and ease the load on suppliers who face multiple audits by enabling suppliers to control audit.
SMETA - SEDEX Member Ethical Trade Audits is a Standard used for Ethical Trade Audits.
SMETA Audits are created on ETI Codes which involves in implementation of Environment, Health & Safety, Business Ethics and Labour Standards in the supply chain.
ETI Code is established on the meetings of the International Labour Organization (ILO) on labour practices. Requirements of SEDEX Audits are based on ETI principles and include followings :
- Employment is Freely Chosen : There is no pushed, bonded or unintentional prison labour and individuals are free to leave their employer after defined notice.
- Respect to Freedom of Association : Workers have the right to set up or join trade unions at their own. Employers must accept an Open attitude towards trade unions and Workers representatives without discrimination.
- Working Conditions are Safe and Hygienic : A safe and hygienic work environment shall be provided to the workers to satisfy the requirements of SEDEX Audits. It uses to prevent accidents and injury.
- Child labour shall not be employed : Requirements of SEDEX Audits based on SMETA Standard shall consider that there shall be no recruitment of child labour. Children and young persons under the age of 18 years shall not be employed at night or in uncertain conditions.
- Minimum Living wages are paid : Wages and benefits paid to a worker, as per national legal standards or industry benchmark standards to follow requirements of SEDEX Audits.
- Working hours are not excessive : Working hours must comply with national laws and mutual agreements and shall commonly not be allowed to work exceeding 48 hours per week. All overtime shall be voluntary.
- No discrimination is practiced : Discrimination in employing, hiring, engaging, compensation, benefits and termination, retirement shall be prohibited and Social Compliance Audit require that these are not based on race, caste, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
- Regular employment is provided : Requirements of SEDEX Audits implement organizations to perform work on recognized employment relationship basis. Social Compliance Audits covers that Obligations to workers established under labour laws shall not be avoided.
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed : Physical or verbal abuse, sexual or other harassment or other forms of harsh treatment are prohibited as per of SEDEX Audit requirements
BENEFITS OF SEDEX AUDITS:
- SEDEX Audits information reduce supply chain audit duplication by providing a extensively acceptable single format for Social Compliance Audits.
- Social Compliance Audits as per SMETA Standard enable companies to efficiently share and manage supply chain ethical information.
- SMETA Audits enhances ethical trading programs in supply chain.
- Reduces risks in social responsibility and sustainability through Social Compliance Audits as per SMETA Standard.
- Brands and buyers are able to view, share data of suppliers’ social compliance audits on SEDEX database
In May 2016 AMFORI BSCI signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with SEDEX, the leading non-profit organization working with buyers, suppliers and auditors to upgrade global supply chains, to co-develop projects and programs that enhance the sustainability efforts of our memberships. this partnership is help to leverage AMFORI BSCI or SEDEX joint strengths to drive scale within the responsible sourcing industry and create various benefits for their members. “Although both organizations will remain separate entities with separate memberships, goals and objectives, they are capable enough in leveraging the considerable market size of both AMFORI BSCI and SEDEX to effect positive change in the industry”
Ethical Data Platform is called SEDEX Advance.
SEDEX Advance scales to meet your requirements. It is constantly evolving in line with the latest risks and their members’ feedback. So it helps organizations at each stage of supply chain program – now and in the future. This offers significant time and cost savings compared to building your own sustainable procurement platform. Whether your supply chain includes 100’s or 1000’s of suppliers.
If you are looking for a firm that will help you in the SEDEX Audit then you must refer to PM consultancy. We are team of diligent, talented, arduous, experienced, energetic, and solution-oriented professionals that are renowned for their best services. To rectify your problem, you must approach to PM consultancy.